The Organ Amphitheatre was located within the spacious Plaza del Organo, which adjoined the Plaza del Pacifico at the south end of the flower-bordered Esplanade. For the California-Pacific International Exposition the Plaza del Organo, formerly known as the Plaza de los Estados, was partially enclosed by the addition of a low curved wall bordered by colorful landscaping. A decorative wall-fountain, resembling one located along the Paseo de la Reforma in Mexico City, was also added and faced north toward the Esplanade; while a new roadway, named El Prado, skirted the enclosed plaza's north-western side connecting the Esplanade to the Palisades area, located south-west of the Organ Amphitheatre. The Spreckels Organ Pavilion, remaining from the 1915-16 exposition, was improved by the addition of amplification equipment and a new console; and a temporary extension of the pavilion's stage accommodated larger groups of performers. During the evening hours a rotating beacon of colored search-lights, placed atop the pavilion's roof, created a simulated "aurora borealis" effect, visible for many miles surrounding the exposition grounds.