The Palace of Fine Arts was located at the north end of the Plaza del Pacifico, and stood on the former site of the 1915-16 exposition's Sacramento Valley Counties / United States Government Building. Prior to the California-Pacific International Exposition the Spanish-Renaissance style reinforced-concrete structure, designed by architect William Templeton Johnson, was known as the Fine Arts Gallery; and completed in 1926. An imposing arched entrance portal, surrounded by delicate Plateresque ornamentation, provided access to the two-level building; which featured hundreds of works-of-art. Opening from a large main foyer, containing an ornate fountain, were several galleries containing Old World and contemporary paintings; in addition to fine displays of sculpture, tapestries, mosaics, carvings, metalwork, jewelry, painted fabrics, prints, and rare bindings. The building also contained a modern craft-ware exhibit; featuring pottery, glassware, and other items produced by several local artists.