After the close of a successful 5-1/2 month long 1935 season, it was decided to re-open the California-Pacific International Exposition for a second season. Numerous changes were made to the grounds, buildings, attractions, and night illumination to create a totally new experience for 1936. Along the Avenida de Palacios a majority of the Blackwood acacia trees were removed to provide better views of the buildings, and additional landscaping was added. Many new exhibits were also introduced, and the House of Charm was re-named the Palace of International Art, and the Palace of Photography became the Palace of Medical Science. Within the House of Hospitality, the second floor loggia, located at the west side of the central patio, was enclosed with large glass doors; and the rear portion of the Casa del Rey Moro Café was enlarged to provide more indoor dining space. The most noticeable changes were made to the Palisades section, located south-west of the Avenida de Palacios. The Plaza de America was completely re-designed with a double-row of Queen Palms planted at either side, bordering a vast garden of multi-colored flowers; and the Firestone Fountains were replaced with the new Rainbow Fountains. Several buildings were also re-named and a majority of new exhibits added. The Palace of Travel, Transportation and Water became the Palace of Electricity and Water; the Standard Oil Tower to the Sun was re-named the Standard Oil Natural Parks Tower; the Hollywood Motion Picture Hall of Fame became the Palace of Entertainment; and the Palace of Electricity and Varied Industries was changed to the General Exhibits Building. At the south end of the Plaza de America, the large Ford Motor Company Building was transformed into the Palace of Transportation. Ford had relocated their extensive exhibits to the Texas Centennial Exposition in Dallas, so the building's interior was re-designed to house an exhibit showing the history of transportation, from primitive times to the present. At the north-east portion of the grounds, the former site of the Casa de Tempo became a children's amusement area known as Enchanted Land; and the center section of Spanish Village was transformed into a large open patio. The Zocalo was re-designed in a moderne-style, surrounding a large landscaped plaza; and included completely new attractions such as "Hollywood Secrets" (showing modern technology used in making movies), the Danse Follies (a musical extravaganza), Big Top Circus (a revised midget show), Strange as it Seems (replacing Ripley's Believe it or Not), and the "Days of '49 Stockade" (replacing the ribald Gold Gulch). Despite much controversy, the Zoro Gardens nudist colony was retained due to its generation of revenue for the exposition. Dramatic new night lighting was introduced for the 1936 season, which used mobile-lighting to paint the buildings and trees in a vast spectrum of changing colors. Unique lighting was also added to Palm Canyon and the Alcazar Gardens which created a "firefly effect" surrounding the landscaping; and a revolving beacon, located atop the tower of the Palace of Science, flashed beams of white light visible for sixty-miles. Facing the Plaza de America, the Palace of Transportation was illuminated in translucent-blue, topped by a glowing gold rim; and further enhanced by the Rainbow Fountains, which displayed ever-changing patterns of water in misty multi-colored sprays.
Monday, April 13, 2009
Sunday, April 12, 2009
The Globe Theatre was located in the area north of the California-Pacific International Exposition's Palace of Science, and modeled after the historic half-timber and thatched-roof London theatre, originally constructed in 1599. The two-level circular structure was open to the sky at the center, similar to the original, and contained a performance stage surrounded by wooden benches seating 600 persons. 45-minute abridged versions of famous Shakespearean plays were presented six times daily to attentive audiences; while hourly performances of English country dances took place on the "village green" situated immediately in front of the building. Adjacent to the theatre were the Falstaff Tavern, serving authentic English food and drink; and the Old Curiosity Shop, where imported English pottery, silver, and many varieties of curios could be purchased.
Saturday, April 11, 2009
The California-Pacific International Exposition's Gold Gulch was a simulated Western mining town covering twenty-one acres in the canyon south-west of Zoro Gardens. Within the town were to be seen all the thrills and excitement of a typical settlement in "the rip-roarin' days of '49". Visitors could ride stage-coaches which rumbled down narrow dirt roads past the Shooting Gallery, Blacksmith Shop, Horse-Shoe Ring, Old Stamp Mill, Pioneer Dance Hall, Bull-Fighting Ring, Cigar Shop, Tin-Type Gallery, Chuck-Wagon Restaurant, and a variety of merchandise and food stands. Among the many live attractions found in Gold Gulch were burro rides, "shoot-outs" performed by pioneer-garbed miners, simulated arrests and hangings, tobacco-spitting contests, and risqué entertainment performed by Gold Gulch Gertie.
Friday, April 10, 2009
Zoro Gardens was located in the canyon at the south end of the California-Pacific International Exposition's Avenida de Espana, immediately east of the Palace of Better Housing. Known popularly as the "nudist colony", the picturesque gardens were occupied by long-haired topless women and bearded loin-clothed men dedicated to the freedom of outdoor living. The occupants referred to themselves as "Zoros" and performed all the various tasks of daily life, in addition to pseudo-religious rituals worshipping their Sun God, Zoro. The gardens contained landscaped terraces, cobblestoned walls, a waterfall and pool, and an open-air kitchen where vegetarian meals were prepared. Daily programs, consisting of dances and athletic demonstrations, were performed on a large circular stage for the scores of exposition visitors who flocked to the gardens.
Thursday, April 9, 2009
The California-Pacific International Exposition's amusement section was located immediately north of Spanish Village, and was known as The Zocalo. Situated along both sides of the long thoroughfare were numerous attractions such as "Miss America" (a colorful beauty pageant show), Ripley's Believe it or Not (an "Odditorium" of humans performing amazing and grotesque feats), Crime Never Pays (featuring John Dillinger's bullet-proof limousine), "Stella" (a life-like painting), Lens Wonders of the World (photographic masterpieces from around the world), Snake Farm (a collection of rare and unusual reptiles), Venetian Glass Blowers (showing the art of glass-blowing), Sexsation (an illusion show), Midget Village (occupied by scores of "little people"), Egyptian Village (featuring Egyptian and Syrian arts and crafts), and "End of the Trail" (featuring 150 Indians from 30 tribes located throughout the United States - housed within the Indian Village remaining from the 1915-16 exposition). Interspersed among the attractions were also rides such as "Bailout" (a parachute jump), Laff in the Dark (a funhouse tunnel-ride), Loop-O-Plane (an aerial thrill ride), Swooper (an elevated spinning ride), and Toyland (a collection of rides designed for children). The Zocalo also contained several shows such as the "Globe of Death" (motorcycle dare-devils performing within a globe of latticed steel), Log Rollers (lumberjacks exhibiting their log-rolling skills), and the "Days of Saladin" (Arabian horses performing amidst colorful pomp and pageantry). An additional exposition attraction, located adjacent to The Zocalo, was the San Diego Zoological Gardens; which contained hundreds of primates, mammals, birds, and reptiles on display within a vast garden of rare plants and trees.
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Spanish Village was situated along the northern section of the California-Pacific International Exposition's Avenida de Espana, and occupied the former site of the 1915-16 exposition's Southern California Model Citrus Grove. The large enclosure was designed to create the illusion of old Spain, and contained narrow cobblestoned streets lined with low thick-walled buildings featuring weathered walls, tile roofs, arched doorways, grilled windows, overhanging balconies, wrought-iron lighting fixtures, and colorful flower-pots and awnings. Throughout the village were located more than fifty stores and shops selling a variety of handcrafted items, such as jewelry, pottery, and various types of artwork; in addition to a small art museum which contained a private collection of rare Spanish works of art, valued at more than $300,000. Small food stands sold candies, pastries, and other edibles; and a large restaurant, specializing in authentic Spanish cuisine, featured continuous live entertainment and dancing. Opposite Spanish Village, on the west side of the Avenida de Espana, was located the Hollywood Potteries Building; which contained many varieties of unique pottery and dinnerware, crafted by California artists.
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
The Shell Oil Company Building was located on the east side of the California-Pacific International Exposition's Avenida de Espana, immediately north of the Palace of Natural History. Featured within the large shell-shaped structure, copied from the Shell Oil Company trademark, was a thirty-eight foot long electrically-animated highway map, depicting the geographical area from the Pacific Ocean east to the Rocky Mountains, and from Canada south to Mexico. Several murals illustrated historical scenes of transportation in the west; and a fully-staffed information center provided detailed information about the exposition, as well as road maps for every state in the Union. The Shell Oil Company Building was flanked on the south by the Boulder Dam exhibit building, featuring a detailed working scale-model of the enormous dam; and on the north by the Life in San Diego building, a local publication which provided information about events and tourist attractions in the San Diego area.
Monday, April 6, 2009
The Casa de Tempo was a large California-Monterey style model home located on the west side of the California-Pacific International Exposition's Avenida de Espana, on the former site of the 1915-16 exposition's Cristobal Café; immediately north of the Palace of Foods and Beverages, and east of the Japanese Tea Garden. The sprawling two-level residence, designed by the architectural firm of Jackson & Hamill, contained twelve rooms; in addition to four bathrooms, a powder room, and an adjoining two-car garage. The entire home was valued at $50,000, which included the modified Georgian-style "Tempo" furnishings, provided by Barker Brothers of Los Angeles. At the front of the home, a wide Colonial-style door opened into an oval entrance hall, containing a curving stairway leading to the second floor. Two large doorways, located at either end of the hall, opened into the formal dining room on the left; and a spacious living room, with fireplace, on the right. A square library, paneled in burl-finished "Presdwood" attached with horizontal copper stripping, opened at the front of the living room; and two sets of French-doors provided access to a broad terrace located at the rear of the home. Adjoining the formal dining room was a modern kitchen and pantry, which connected to an airy breakfast room, laundry room, and maid's room with bath. The first floor also contained a large powder room and coat closet, opening from the oval entrance hall. On the second floor were two large bedrooms, with connecting compartmented bath; in addition to a spacious master suite, complete with attached boudoir and two full bathrooms. A long narrow balcony, situated at the front of the residence, opened from the master bedroom and stair hall; and a tiled open-air deck, located over the laundry and maid's rooms, was accessed from the rear bedroom. Featured throughout the home were the latest trends in modern design and comfort, which included natural gas heating with central ventilation system, a natural gas range and refrigerator, vitreous china sinks and sanitary fixtures, chrome-plated red brass plumbing fixtures, "Carrara" structural glass tile, "Presdwood" paneling, cushioned flooring, textured carpeting, aluminum window blinds, acoustical plaster, long-lasting paint, and composition shingle roofing.
Sunday, April 5, 2009
The Japanese Tea Garden was located north of the California-Pacific International Exposition's Botanical Building and Gardens, and remained from the 1915-16 exposition. The high-roofed and paper-lantern decorated Buddhist-style pavilion, situated within the lush gardens, provided a restful place for exposition visitors to pause and enjoy a cup of tea, fortune-cookies, or a variety of Japanese dishes, served by kimono-clad maidens. The adjoining gardens were filled with meandering paths, bridge-spanned waterways, and koi-filled ponds bordered by towering bamboo, trailing wisteria, manicured cedars and pines, delicate mosses, unique bonsai, stepping-stones, rocks, stone lanterns, and ceremonial water basins.
Saturday, April 4, 2009
The Firestone Fountains, sponsored by the Firestone Tire Company, were the centerpiece of the California-Pacific International Exposition's Plaza de America; and were situated north of the Ford Motor Company Building, between the Palace of Electricity and Varied Industries and the California State Building. The group of six mechanically-controlled fountains, located within a low rectangular basin measuring 120-feet long and 20-feet wide, were bordered by colorful beds of flowers spelling the name "Firestone", and broad lawns surrounded by benches for seating. Two small Mayan-style pavilions, located at the southern edge of a flower-garden immediately north of the fountains, contained electric speakers which provided the melodic sounds which controlled the rise and fall of the misty fountain-sprays. Both recorded and live music, from the nearby Ford Bowl, were used to present shows featuring synchronized water and melody; further enhanced during the evening hours by the addition of rainbows of colored light, causing the various hues of the fountains to merge and change, from bright plumes of red and orange to cooler sprays of blue and green, in harmony with the tone and pitch of the music. The Firestone Tire Company was also represented by a comprehensive exhibit located within the Ford Motor Company Building.
Friday, April 3, 2009
The Ford Bowl was located east of the Ford Motor Company Building, immediately south of the California-Pacific International Exposition's Palace of Electricity and Varied Industries. Within the modern acoustically-designed 3000-seat amphitheatre were presented numerous concerts and musical programs, sponsored by the Ford Motor Company. Among the many featured performers were the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, Portland Symphony Orchestra, Seattle Symphony Orchestra, and the San Diego Symphony Orchestra. A novel feature of the Ford Bowl was the newly invented Hammond Electronic Organ, upon which unique organ concerts were presented.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Situated at the south end of the California-Pacific International Exposition's Plaza de America was the reinforced-concrete Ford Motor Company Building, designed by industrial designer Walter Dorwin Teague to represent the latest trend in modern 20th-century industrial architecture. The massive structure was designed in the shape of a massive "8", with a ninety-foot high blue-ribbed rotunda forming the entrance, and providing access to a circular 300-foot diameter exhibit hall. The interior of the rotunda featured two large vertical murals representing "The Spirit of America" and "The Spirit of Asia", and a revolving hemisphere composed of twelve dioramas showing the use of Ford automobiles in various countries bordering the Pacific. In the main exhibit hall the entire process of constructing a modern Ford automobile was explained in detail, from the extraction of the raw materials from the earth to the completed product. Also prominently displayed in the hall were three historic Ford cars, consisting of Henry Ford's first motor-car, constructed in 1893; the first Ford Model-A, built in 1905; and the first Ford Model-T, introduced in 1908. At the building's center was located a spacious open-air flagstone-paved patio, containing shade-trees, flowers, and shrubbery; in addition to a large splashing fountain in the shape of a "V-8", symbolizing the innovative Ford V-8 engine, flanked by displays of the latest models of Ford automobiles. At the rear of the building a broad terrace provided panoramic views of the city and bay of San Diego, and overlooked the half-mile long "Roads of the Pacific", where modern Ford cars were demonstrated along 200-foot sections of fourteen historic roads, reproduced from famous byways found in the Pacific region. At night the front portion of the building was bathed in white-light, from neon-tubes hidden within the hollow steel ribs circling the rotunda; and four enormous groups of letters spelling "FORD", situated around the rotunda's top-rim, glowed in red.
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
The California State Building was situated on the west side of the California-Pacific International Exposition's Plaza de America, adjacent to the Hollywood Motion Picture Hall of Fame. Architect Richard Requa designed the structure to represent the similarities in mass and form between ancient Mayan, Indian Pueblo and modern 20th-century architecture. The large rectangular building featured plain unadorned walls, decorated with vine-filled planter boxes at the parapet level, and a central concave entrance portal, decorated with Mayan style fibre-wallboard ornamentation. Four large vertical panels, created from squares of fibre-wallboard painted and varnished to imitate polychrome tile, were located above the entrance and depicted symbolic scenes of the story of California. Within the spacious building California's agriculture, commerce, industry, education, architecture, art, communications, highways, and police and military organizations were represented by many comprehensive displays. A detailed relief-map illustrated the state's water resources and the central valley water project; while several large murals portrayed California's history and lore.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
The Palace of Electricity and Varied Industries was located on the east side of the California-Pacific International Exposition's Plaza de America, immediately south of the Federal Building. Architect Richard Requa designed the structure to represent the similarities in mass and form between ancient Mayan, Aztec and modern 20th-century architecture. The large rectangular building consisted of plain unadorned walls, decorated with vine-filled planter boxes at the parapet level; while centered along the front facade was a large projecting marquee-style entrance portal, decorated with Mayan and Aztec style fibre-wallboard ornamentation. The floor of the building's entrance featured a colored-concrete panel representing "Electricity and Industry", and a large verdigris-finished panel, located over the entrance, depicted various forms of industry, carved in high-relief. Within the building were located many electrical and industrial exhibits, the main feature of which was the "House of Magic" where popcorn was popped with ice and music transmitted over a beam of light, among other amazing wonders. Electrical demonstrations were presented in a 300-seat theatre, where lecturers explained the intricate details of modern electrical science; while a large-scale "Electric Farm" showed how electricity could be used to improve rural living.
Monday, March 30, 2009
The Palisades Café was located at the north end of the California-Pacific International Exposition's Plaza de America, immediately west of the Standard Oil Tower to the Sun. The low Pueblo-style structure featured a deeply-arched entrance portal opening into a large rectangular patio, which contained numerous dining tables covered by brightly colored umbrellas and awnings. Situated along two sides of the open-air patio were several indoor dining rooms, a bar, and cocktail lounge with a dance floor. The entire facility was capable of accommodating several hundred persons, and was second in size only to the Café of the World, located on the Plaza del Pacifico.
Sunday, March 29, 2009
The Hollywood Motion Picture Hall of Fame was located at the north-west corner of the Plaza de America, along the west side of the California-Pacific International Exposition's Avenida de Naciones. Architect Richard Requa designed the structure in an Indian Pueblo-style to compliment the nearby Palace of Education, which was situated immediately north of the building. Simulated adobe walls, small square windows, projecting wood vigas, and tall wood-pole ladders created the illusion of an ancient Pueblo-style structure; which was enhanced by desert landscaping consisting of many varieties of cacti and aloe. Large red letters spelling "Hollywood" sat at the top of the front facade, above a rectangular entrance portal, proclaiming the nature of the displays located within. The interior contained a large motion-picture memorabilia museum featuring hundreds of items, including Shirley Temple's shoes; and a motion-picture sound stage, where live Hollywood performances were rehearsed and filmed.
Saturday, March 28, 2009
The Palace of Education was originally constructed as the New Mexico State Building for the 1915-16 exposition, and was located on the west side of the Avenida de Naciones, which passed by the western side of the House of Pacific Relations. For the California-Pacific International Exposition the Pueblo-style building was doubled in size by the addition of a large wing at the rear of the structure, and the interior was completely remodeled. The building's former open-air patio was enclosed, and became the educational exhibit's Theme Room. At the center of the square Theme Room was placed an octagonal fountain, created by sculptor Frederick Shweigardt, representing "The Four Cornerstones of American Democracy"; while the room's rear wall featured a large mural, painted by local artist Belle Baranceanu, depicting "The Progress of Man". Exhibits in the building represented all aspects of education, and included displays from the University of California system and various State Colleges, in addition to exhibits illustrating business education, industrial education, physical education, art education, education of the deaf and blind, journalism, navigation, and many other educational fields. At the rear of the building was located a large cactus garden, containing many varieties of cacti and other desert plants.
Friday, March 27, 2009
The Standard Oil Tower to the Sun was located at the north end of the Plaza de America, across from the California-Pacific International Exposition's Federal Building. The Mayan-style structure consisted of a rectangular exhibit building, edged with vine-filled planter boxes situated along the parapet, and a three-sided 108-foot high tower, covered with geometrically-patterned ornamentation copied from ancient Yucatan monuments. The building's main entrance was located at the base of the tower, facing north toward El Prado, and was flanked by walls covered with Mayan-style ornamentation. Colorful murals were located above both the curved main entrance and a secondary entrance facing south toward the Plaza de America, and illustrated the beauties of nature found throughout the western National Parks. Colored flood-lighting illuminated the building during the evening hours, creating patterned shadows upon the fibre-wallboard ornamentation. The building's interior contained murals and dioramas depicting National Park scenes; and a small theatre showed a series of motion-pictures describing the natural wonders of the various National Parks.
Thursday, March 26, 2009
The California-Pacific International Exposition's Federal Building was located at the north-east corner of the Plaza de America, facing El Prado; and was designed as a permanent reinforced-concrete structure, to be converted into a theatre after the close of the exposition. Architect Richard Requa based the design of the building on the Palace of the Governor, located within the ancient Mayan settlement of Uxmal, in Yucatan, Mexico. The massive square building featured a low front wing with a triangular-shaped entrance portal, containing a colorful window of reverse-painted glass depicting a standing Mayan priest and a crouching submissive Indian. Flanking the entrance were low towers scored to resemble large stone blocks, covered at their upper levels with elaborately massed and colored Mayan-style ornamentation, created from fibre-wallboard. Wide geometrically-patterned cornices surrounded the structure's two roof levels, and a columned Mayan-style portico overlooked a small tropical garden situated at the rear of the building. The spacious interior contained exhibits representing more than twenty departments of the United States Government.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
The Palace of Travel, Transportation and Water was located on the east side of the California-Pacific International Exposition's El Prado, south-west of the Organ Amphitheatre. Architect Richard Requa designed the large exhibit structure, which combined elements of both modern and pre-Columbian architecture. The building's main entrance faced El Prado, and consisted of a large rectangular portal enhanced with geometrically patterned Mayan-style ornamentation; while three colorful panels, located above the entrance, illustrated several modes of travel and transportation. Situated north of the building were the spacious California Gardens, filled with large beds of many varieties of flowers grown within the state. At the building's north-east corner, facing the California Gardens, was a second uniquely designed entrance, featuring three cascading waterfalls; at the top of which was situated a colorful stylized-mask of Aztec origin, flanked by large letters spelling "Water Palace". At night the structure was bathed in colored light from concealed sources, and the north entrance was reflected in a Moorish-style pool, surrounded by large decorative urns. Within the building were located numerous exhibits telling the story of advances made in travel and transportation during the past four-hundred years; which included comprehensive displays by the Southern Pacific and Santa Fe Railroads. In the Water Palace section of the building the Los Angeles Metropolitan Water District Company featured an exhibit explaining its project of supplying water to Southern California from the soon to be completed Boulder Dam.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Situated at the center of the Palisades section was the spacious Plaza de America, surrounded by many of the California-Pacific International Exposition's new exhibit structures. The Plaza de America consisted of a large rectangular space containing lawns, colorful flowers, and many varieties of trees and shrubbery; with broad roadways and walks providing access to the exhibit buildings, many of which were decorated with Aztec and Mayan-style ornamentation. Hollywood set-designer Juan Larrinaga decorated the new structures using fibre-wallboard; which was glued together in several layers, cut and carved into various shapes, mounted onto ply-board, coated with a waterproofing solution, and finished with cement-paint. The unique multi-colored ornamentation was then attached to the stuccoed walls of buildings to create decorative panels, cornices, and moldings. The structures located around the Plaza de America consisted of the Palace of Travel, Transportation, and Water; Federal Building; Standard Oil Tower to the Sun; Palace of Education; Hollywood Motion Picture Hall of Fame; Palisades Café; Palace of Electricity and Varied Industries; California State Building; and the ultra-modern Ford Motor Company Building and adjacent Ford Bowl. The plaza's centerpiece was the Firestone Fountains, which produced misty-sprays of water synchronized to rise and fall with the melodies of both recorded and live music. By night, the fountains were illuminated in rainbow hues using sophisticated underwater lighting; and were complemented by the colored lighting projected upon the surrounding buildings and landscaping.
Monday, March 23, 2009
Situated on the west side of the Callé Prensa, across from the Christian Science Monitor Building, was a group of fifteen small structures known collectively as the House of Pacific Relations. The tile-roofed Mediterranean-style cottages, located on the former site of the 1915-16 exposition's Montana State Building, were arranged around a tree-shaded park and housed representatives of the twenty-one nations that participated in the California-Pacific International Exposition. A curved row of flagstaffs, placed at the main entrance to the House of Pacific Relations group, flew the colorful flags of the participating nations; while a meandering pathway circled the landscaped park and provided access to the various national cottages. The countries of England, Scotland, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Germany, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Portugal, Italy, China, Japan, Mexico, Panama, Chile, Uruguay, Honduras, Paraguay, Nicaragua, and Argentina shared their unique customs and cultures in a spirit of international peace and amity. During the course of the exposition each participating nation presented a two-day program, broadcast by radio throughout the United States, highlighting the characteristic music, songs, and dances of its people.
Sunday, March 22, 2009
The Christian Science Monitor Building was situated south-west of the Organ Amphitheatre along the Callé Prensa, formerly the eastern portion of the Via de los Estados during the 1915-16 exposition. The modest two-level Spanish-style structure featured an arched entrance-portal, a small roof-garden, and Mission-tile roofs. The interior was dedicated to the teachings of Christian Science, and contained historical displays, a Christian Science reading room, and a special section devoted to the writings of founder Mary Baker Eddy. The building was flanked on the south by the moderne-style Latter Day Saints Building; and on the north by the California-Mission style Press Building, which had previously been the Kansas State / Theosophical Building during the 1915-16 exposition.
Saturday, March 21, 2009
The Organ Amphitheatre was located within the spacious Plaza del Organo, which adjoined the Plaza del Pacifico at the south end of the flower-bordered Esplanade. For the California-Pacific International Exposition the Plaza del Organo, formerly known as the Plaza de los Estados, was partially enclosed by the addition of a low curved wall bordered by colorful landscaping. A decorative wall-fountain, resembling one located along the Paseo de la Reforma in Mexico City, was also added and faced north toward the Esplanade; while a new roadway, named El Prado, skirted the enclosed plaza's north-western side connecting the Esplanade to the Palisades area, located south-west of the Organ Amphitheatre. The Spreckels Organ Pavilion, remaining from the 1915-16 exposition, was improved by the addition of amplification equipment and a new console; and a temporary extension of the pavilion's stage accommodated larger groups of performers. During the evening hours a rotating beacon of colored search-lights, placed atop the pavilion's roof, created a simulated "aurora borealis" effect, visible for many miles surrounding the exposition grounds.
Friday, March 20, 2009
The Palace of Natural History was situated immediately adjacent to the California-Pacific International Exposition's main entrance, on the north side of the Avenida de Palacios. The large Spanish-Renaissance style reinforced-concrete structure, designed by architect William Templeton Johnson, was built on the site of the former Civic Auditorium; known as the Southern California Counties Building during the 1915-16 exposition. After the Civic Auditorium was destroyed by fire in 1925, local philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps donated the funds necessary to construct the three-level building, which was named the Natural History Museum and opened to the public in 1933. Over 300,000 specimens of wildlife, shells, fossils, minerals, and flora were contained within the spacious structure; in addition to a complete research library and laboratory. The Civilian Conservation Corps also maintained a comprehensive exhibit in the building during the exposition.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
The Palace of Foods and Beverages was located directly across from the Palace of Better Housing, on the north side of the Avenida de Palacios, and had been known as the Varied Industries and Food Products / Foreign and Domestic Industries Building during the 1915-16 exposition. For the California-Pacific International Exposition the large L-shaped building was filled with displays from numerous manufacturers and distributors of food products. One of the most prominent exhibits was that of Coca-Cola, whose display featured an enormous "Fountain of Light" situated over a counter where bottles of Coca-Cola were sold. Chase and Sanborn Coffee, Royal Baking Powder, Globe "A-1" Flour, Fleischmann's Yeast, Kraft Cheese Products, Challenge Butter, Spreckels Sugar, Sparkletts Water, Beechnut Gum, and National Biscuit Co. were among more than fifty exhibitors who displayed their products within the building.
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
The Palace of Better Housing was situated on the south side of the Avenida de Palacios, immediately east of the House of Hospitality, and had been known as the Commerce and Industries / Canadian Building during the 1915-16 exposition. Within the commodious structure were located displays assembled by numerous manufacturers of home improvement products; ranging from asphalt roofing and porcelain bathroom fixtures, to furniture and fencing. At the rear of the building, in a tree-shaded park, was located the extensive two-part exhibit of the Federal Housing Administration. The "Modeltown" portion of the exhibit featured detailed scale-models of modern homes, each with a plaque describing the many features of the building, the materials used, and the exact cost of its construction. The 56 model-homes on display were designed by a variety of outstanding Southern California architects. The second portion of the exhibit was known as "Modernization Magic", and contained scale-model representations of dilapidated buildings; each of which suddenly changed, by a clever mechanical device, into a completely remodeled modern structure. A full-scale modern home, constructed entirely of steel, was also located in the F.H.A. exhibit; while live radio programs were broadcast from the Radio Exhibit's outdoor-theatre, located along the Palace of Better Housing's south facade.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
The Botanical Building and Gardens were located on the north side of the Avenida de Palacios, between the Café of the World and the Palace of Foods and Beverages. The large redwood-lath covered building, and the adjoining Botanical Gardens, functioned much the same for the California-Pacific International Exposition as they had during the 1915-16 exposition. Rare varieties of tropical plants, ferns, vines, and delicate flowers thrived within the building and its heated conservatory; while the gardens outside were planted with many types of palms and flowering shrubs. A fountain was added to the small lagoon, directly in front of the building, which produced sprays of water in a rainbow of changing colors during the evening hours. The large water-lily filled Laguna de las Flores, extending towards Avenida de Palacios, was re-named Laguna de Espejo because of its smooth mirror-like surface which reflected picturesque views of the surrounding architecture and landscaping.
Monday, March 16, 2009
The House of Hospitality was situated across from the Café of the World, at the south-east corner of the Plaza del Pacifico and the Avenida de Palacios, and had been known as the Foreign and Domestic Arts / Foreign Arts Building during the 1915-16 exposition. The structure was extensively remodeled, prior to the California-Pacific International Exposition, using the insurance compensation received after the Civic Auditorium fire of 1925. In the building's re-design, architect Richard Requa placed an open-air patio at the center, added a second floor, and created a terraced garden on the south side facing the canyon, where a projecting wing of the building had been removed due to deterioration. The rectangular interior patio was based on one found in Guadalajara, Mexico; and contained a paved court with palm and tropical-plant filled planter-beds at each corner, surrounded by arched open-galleries. An octagon-shaped polychrome-tile covered fountain was placed at the patio's center; and featured a stone representation of a native Mexican woman, created by local sculptor Donal Hord, pouring water from an olla into a tiled pool. A small stone well, with a wrought-iron exedra, was located at the south-east corner of the patio; and multi-color glazed pots, filled with varieties of flowers, were hung from the patio's iron railings. On the south side of the building was situated a triple-terraced garden, copied from one in Ronda, Spain, known as the Casa del Rey Moro Garden. The rectangular upper terrace, adjoining the building's arched two-level south gallery, was paved in herringbone-patterned brick and flanked by two vine-covered pergolas. At the center of the terrace was a polychrome-tile fountain, with a delicately perforated imitation-alabaster fountain-head. Two iron-railed brick stairways led down to the middle terrace, which was faced by a semi-circular fountain niche, surrounded with colorful tile. The middle terrace contained two large flower-filled planter-beds, edged with ball-shaped shrubs. A pair of curving iron-railed brick stairways led to the lower terrace; which contained four small planter-beds, a brick-bordered lily-pond, and a stone well with a double-column supported exedra. Curved benches, built into the garden's low retaining wall, overlooked the lushly landscaped canyon below. The interior of the House of Hospitality contained several beautifully decorated meeting and banquet rooms, offices for exposition officials, and a 600-seat auditorium. The auditorium was accessed from the central patio, and entered through a massive set of panelled and stencilled doors, surrounded by a wide intricately-carved stone frame. The Casa del Rey Moro Café, located on the south side of the building's ground-floor, contained a spacious and colorfully-stencilled Spanish-style dining room; and also featured al-fresco dining, beneath floral-patterned umbrellas, on the Casa del Rey Moro Garden's upper terrace.